Saturday, September 22, 2007

The magic number is 30

That's right: 30. The new answer to Life, The Universe and Everything and here's why. Despite my own trepidation, I decided to attempt pancakes again this morning. It was Saturday, after all, the known day that pancakes get made 2 hours past normal breakfast time, so as to serve as both lunch and breakfast. All right, I admit it, I was feeling lazy.

Thank goodness for the industrial sized bag of Krusteaz in the cupboard. I can't even begin to imagine trying to guess "from scratch" quantities for my kids. They seem to be growing these days. Either that, or they're tanking up in preparation for the onslaught. Last time I made pancakes, I made 25 just for them, and we ran out. Amidst the tears and howling, were claims of certain starvation, hunger pangs threatening to cave in their little bellies and generalized moaning about not having the 6th, 7th or 8 pancake (depending on the child). This time, I was determined to make enough.

And I did. I made the first batch: 16. They were just getting warmed up. I quickly made a second batch of 14 and then sat back and watched the stacks disappear. I was starting to get worried, but then magically, as quickly as they had appeared, the plates one by one disappeared from the table. When the dust cleared, I had 3 pancakes left. It was an amazing sight to see, and I definitely felt a sense of relief. I had survived. I made pancakes and more pancakes, and I conquered the beast!

Have I mentioned the fear I harbor for when they all hit teenage years? Because I'm afraid. Very afraid.

2 comments:

The Lizard said...

Still...in a year or two we won't be making Saturday morning breakfast. #1 will be doing it!

Mama Lizard said...

Yes, but we still have to pay the grocery bill!