Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Blue...is pink

So our 6 year old is trying to teach our 4 year old Spanish. I don't know why. He doesn't speak a lick of Spanish himself. But I hear him telling his brother "Blue, is pink, in Spanish. See? And green...is black, over here, in Spanish." I'm not sure what has possessed him to make such wild statements, but there you have it. Blue, is definitely pink, in Spanish.

There are definitely times as a parent when you just stop and wonder at the words that come so willingly out of such innocent little mouthes. And that those words are so readily absorbed by other little sponge-like minds. Certainly not something you can predict or even necessarily follow. That's what I like so much about teaching our children at home. Their minds are so wide open, and so willing to absorb anything and everything you can teach them. Why hold them to "traditional" learning, when they can grab a hold of an idea, and take it to the moon and beyond. Why shouldn't my 8 year old be learning about molecular models and atomic numbers? Why shouldn't my 6 year old be able to solve algebraic equations in his head? Why shouldn't my 4 year old be reading? They are just ready and waiting for someone to show them the wonders of our world. I'm just there to put the information in front of them and watch them blossom into a world of their own discovery.

No comments: