Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thoughts on Thursday...

It seems my life revolves around one thing...the kids. I suppose that is true, and quite possibly how it's supposed to go. My husband and I brought them into this world, and it is our responsibility to see to it that they are raised to be self sufficient, capable, competent young adults. That's what our parents did for us. That's our duty to our own children.

I guess when I was a kid, I saw all sorts of possibilities for the future. The door was wide open, and I got to choose to do whatever my heart desired. My heart lead me to the Naval Academy. From there, my heart lead me down many paths, some good, some less than desirable. My head lead me through and enabled me to earn my BS in Political Science. I had dreams and aspirations, most of which have not been realized, and probably never will. And somehow, in all of that, I found the Lizard, and fell in love. Life certainly hasn't turned out the way I planned, and that's okay. I kind of like how it has turned out.

We've been through a lot together in our nearly 15 years of marriage. However, I wouldn't trade a moment of it for something different. Everything happens for a reason. I may not immediately know the reason, and I assume sometimes the reason will never come clearly to me...but everything does happen for a reason.

There's a quote by Erma Bombeck that I particularly enjoy. I've always thought she had a fresh, down to earth, realistic take on life, and this case is no different.

"Maybe all I could do was mother.... And yet, why did I feel so fulfilled when I bedded down three kids between clean sheets? What if raising and instilling values in three children and turning them into worthwhile human beings would be the most important contribution I ever made in my lifetime?" ~Erma Bombeck

I think that sums up today rather nicely. I mothered. I took the kids to VBS, then to swim lessons, then to karate. Little Dude is still under the weather, so he skipped karate and opted for some extra snuggle time. The three of us said our prayers snuggled together, holding each other for comfort and warmth. I rocked our youngest until he was nearly asleep, then gently tucked him between clean sheets, tucked a well loved Chip under his arm, and then kissed him good night. It doesn't get any better than that.

This time God has given me is so precious. I'm so thankful to be the guiding beacon in our children's lives. I'm so thankful to have a husband who is willing to stand up for what he believes in, and who provides for our family, come what may. I've been richly blessed with four healthy and happy children, and one loving and devoted husband. This is the wealth I have stored up. The love of our family is what will sustain me when nothing else can.

No comments: