Monday, August 2, 2010

Excuses, excuses...

I feel obliged to tell you that I did not unexpectedly fall off the face of the earth. I just got a new phone, that's all. :o) Since I got my new phone last Tuesday, I haven't turned on my computer. Unfortunately, blogging isn't all that easy on a touch-pad keyboard...one letter painfully pecked out at a time just isn't my thing. So as a result of getting a new phone, my blogging suffered.

Such is life! So...what happened last week? I'm not sure I remember...stuff, mostly. I did go to karate, and bared my soul about self defense...or a certain willful lack thereof. And Little Miss had a birthday. And I missed the Lizard something fierce. We had swim lessons, and karate, I had my morning walks...in general, life has been running along fairly smoothly. I have a good solid routine. Dishes done every night, cooking done every night, laundry done according to plan with folding and putting away getting done the same day as wash...miracles do happen!

Sunday, Little Miss served at the early mass. After we got home, we (LM, Monkey Boy and I) packed for camp. The oldest two are at church camp all week. It's a little bizarre "only" having two kids to feed, mind, put to bed and otherwise wrangle. It's definitely a different dynamic here at home. And way fewer dishes.

Today, the littlest two monkeys started off with VBS from 9 until noon. Then we had lunch and packed up for a few errands and swim lessons. We dropped off some boogie boards for a friend, returned a pile of books to the library, did swim lessons, shopped at the exchange, shopped at the commissary, returned a pile of granite and marble tile samples, shopped at REI. Then came home, had grilled chicken for dinner and headed out for our Mission Trails hike. It was definitely a fun-filled day.

Unfortunately, the day ended on a sad note for me. The Lizard leaves the states tomorrow for an unknown amount of time. He should be back in a year, and we hope he'll be back for a visit sometime during that year. I've decided that an IA (Individual Augmentee) deployment is much harder than a regular deployment. A shipboard deployment, you leave (for example) on 6 December and return 6 June the next year. Six months to the day, nearly guaranteed. Takes an act of congress to change that. IA he just goes. No hard and fast day he'll leave, no written in stone day he'll return. Throw a dart at a calendar...that's as good a method as any to determine his return date.

So tomorrow, he leaves the states. He'll be in transit for a few days...and then...? Who knows. It's just a gaping expanse of blackness...the uncertainty, the unknown.

No comments: