Saturday, August 7, 2010

The beauty of having nothing planned

Today was unusual in that I had nothing planned. No obligations, no errands to run, no commitments to keep. It was a much needed break and a very low key day.

I think all four kids were exhausted from their respective weeks of activities. LM and MB came back from camp happy, excited, exhausted and just a little bit sick. Thankfully, it was nothing like last year, when LM came home with H1N1 and MB came home with pneumonia. This seems to be your run-of-the-mill common cold. Unfortunately, LD also seems to have his own version from VBS this week. So today was a day of lazing around in jammies, watching cartoons, playing with Legos and then playing on the Wii.

Meanwhile, I spent the morning and part of the afternoon cleaning out the trailer, organizing what we're taking, and packing some non-perishables. I feel pretty good about what I got accomplished today. It takes me one huge step closer to being ready to leave. There are still many things I need to get done, some big, some small, but I'm confident I'll be ready when the time comes.

Today also marked the last little bit of yard work/construction I wanted to have complete before I left...the last 3 feet of fence. Our dear friend, John came over and finished building it. The fence looks amazing. After 3 months of hard work (mostly on John's part), phase one of our yard demolition/redesign/landscaping project is complete.

The next thing on my list is to get ready to take school on the road. There are books to check through, supplies to organize, paper to be packed, lessons to be planned. I think we're going to learn a lot this year and I can hardly wait to get started!

No comments: