Monday, August 23, 2010

First day of school!

I promise I'll get back to last week, but I thought I would start with today, since I actually have a spare moment (but only one) and internet access.

Today was the first day of school. LM is in 7th, MB is in 4th, MM is in 2nd and LD is in 1st. We started the day in the Topaz Lake, NV area. My parents own a house near Topaz Lake, which makes a convenient place to stop and stay while enjoying the beauty of the surrounding area, including Lake Tahoe.

Back to school...today we focused on math and writing. I didn't want to overwhelm the kids going straight from lazy summer days to structured school days all in one fell swoop. So we're easing in. Math and writing today, math and reading tomorrow, math, reading, writing and science the day after. Soon we'll be into our full school routine and everything will be chipping right along. The beauty of homeschooling on the road is that I have few distractions. No piano lessons, no karate, no classes, no religious ed. Just school. Just nature. Just us on an adventure. I can deal with that.

Currently, we're in Diamond Springs, CA at my parents' other house, my childhood home. We're home overnight to let my parents take care of bills and the garden and sundry other things. Then tomorrow, we'll head back to Topaz Lake by way of David Walley's Hot Springs for a dip in the pool and various hottubs. Wednesday we'll head out to Lassen National Park for a week of hiking and learning about what makes Lassen so special.

Life is good. I thankful to be able to provide this kind of an experience to our kids, and thankful for those around me who make it possible...especially my husband.

2 comments:

The Lizard said...

And your husband is glad you're there to take care of things. :)

darski said...

It sounds like you are enjoying yourselves and getting things taken care of at the same time. Good for you. Our prayers are with you for a safe and yet exciting adventure, something to write home about whenever you get a spare minute.
Thanks for blogging!
Love, Dar