Monday, April 9, 2007

On the road again...

Today was a driving day. We started the day getting packed up and ready to go. After a quick stop for gas, we headed off through the countryside of Michigan. I really enjoyed the drive. We passed numerous frozen patches of standing water, creating silvery white blankets underneath the trees. We passed countless old farmhouses, standing stately on ridgelines, watching over their land. The roads were mostly straight, but curved to go around farms and over rivers and creeks.

We passed through townships and corporations, villages and just single farmhouses paired with grain silos and barns. The roads were dry, but covered in a dusty grey coating of salt, left over from the winter battle against the ice. I was really struck by the difference in the pace of life when I saw a little boy and his father standing by a fire, poking and prodding, but mostly just standing by and passing time. It was really unrushed and serene. Maybe someday we will realize that ideal, but not today.

As we crossed the border from Michigan into Ohio, the landscape changed. No longer were we surrounded by farms divided by trees. Now the landscape was rolling and had and added dimension: so much more human influence. More people, more houses, more developments. It just had a whole new feel about it.

Our first stop was for a potty break, and Emily mentioned that one of my brake lights wasn’t working. I consulted my handy GPS and located an auto store less than a mile away. I purchased two new bulbs and turned to go. The salesman asked if I intended to change the bulb myself, and I told him I certainly did. Good grief, it’s a light bulb! So how many moms does it take to change a light bulb? Two. One to pull the tail light assembly and one to push the brake pedal to check the finished product. Easy peasy.

Our trip today seemed super short and quite easy. I’m so glad to have Emily along with me, and we can’t wait for tomorrow. And to find out what we have in store for tomorrow…well, you’ll just have to come back and read again! Here’s a hint…we are in Kentucky. Until then…good night!

No comments: