Monday, April 2, 2007

Oklahoma, then caves, then Kansas

Today was different. We all slept in after a terribly late night. Somehow, we are changing time zones, but our bodies aren’t. It’s kind of weird. I’m so used to getting the kids in bed at 7pm, but now we aren’t hitting the hay until 11pm local, which is 9pm Pacific. We’re all sorts of messed up. And it’s really hard to get on the road at a decent hour when you don’t get to bed until super late. So hitting that 11am check out time is a challenge! Maybe we’ll do better tomorrow morning. What I really need to do is get brave and stop really early and get the kids in bed at a reasonable hour. Easier said then done.

We started out this morning by back tracking a few miles on I-40. Then we took off on little country roads and saw some of the most beautiful Oklahoma country. Lush, green fields, growing wild from spring rains, brilliant red-orange soil, gently rolling hills and never a dull moment. It really was astounding. I saw my first tumble weed of the trip. I saw more oil derricks than I could count. I saw lilacs in full bloom, iris, tulips, and other spring flowers painting the sides of the road with their heavenly colors.

The purpose of getting off the beaten path was two fold. First, I wanted to see the area where my father’s family homesteaded in the late 1800s and the early 1900s. I can certainly see why this area would have drawn settlers, especially in the spring months. Second, there was a cave to be seen. Alabaster Caverns State Park is a gypsum cave containing the only black gypsum in the United States. I’ll just encourage you to look up gypsum, because to describe in adequately would take a bit. Rest assured, this was an interesting cave! We had a private tour and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Our daughter’s favorite part was the bats you could see hanging from the ceiling. We even got to see a couple fly past!

Aside from being terribly windy, today was a beautiful day. I saw 3 puffy white clouds this morning and not another wisp in the sky the rest of the day. One arm is more sore than the other from trying to keep the van in one lane, but hey, I guess that comes with the territory of a cross wind!

I’m not so sure I like Kansas. “Welcome to Kansas, now give us your money” was the greeting I got, as the freeway suddenly turned into a toll road near the border. Odd, but, well, whatever floats your boat or paves your roads, right? And I wouldn’t miss Wichita for the world! First of all, I now know how to spell Wichita. It’s not easy. Kind of like Albuquerque, it takes a bit to get used to. Second, I finally got to meet Krista! The mighty Miss A had already hit the hay by the time we arrived, but we did get to have dinner and play with Mr. L and the happy little Miss M. What a crew! Krista and I picked up in mid conversation and I really enjoyed a chance to relax while the kids played.

We stayed way too late, and I was sad to leave, but we headed out to the AF Base to stay the night. No wireless internet. Bummer. So I’ll try to McGuiver this up later. hehe! Now I am rethinking tomorrow. I know I have way too much driving planned. I think Louisville may drop off the trip, in favor of a more relaxed Tuesday and Wednesday. We’ll see. I definitely want take the kids up in the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. I guess I’ll just play it by ear and see how things go!

1 comment:

Martha said...

I'd recommend more time at the Arch and its park area over a couple of hours in Louisville.
If you want a little more flexibility in Louisville, there's a riverfront park with great playgrounds & walking areas where you could stop for a picnic without as much time constraint. Just a thought.

I'm jealous that you saw the Cadillac Ranch. I've always wanted to see that one.