Monday, April 16, 2007

Luray Caverns

Monday, 16 April 2007
Ok, what is the deal with this weather? I have seen more snowy days in the last 2.5 weeks than I have in the last 12 years. Honestly people, what’s the deal with spring around here??? Do you really need to make me experience winter day after day after day? I already regret even bothering to pack shorts and short sleeves. Obviously we had no need for those or our sandals. But I get it already, ok? Call off winter! Geez!

So yes, we woke up to snow. Again. And wind. Holy cow…gusting to 60 mph. I flew out of bed twice last night to check to see if my car was still there. I’m not joking even a little bit. The wind is crazy here. After a wonderful hot breakfast of oatmeal, we packed up and headed out to the Luray Caverns.

The drive out was a little dicey, but not too bad (you know, due to the snow and wind). The wind was enough to cut you in half the moment you stepped out of the protection of the car, but we made it inside and had a great tour! The formations were simply amazing, huge and bountiful. And my favorite part was the organ that played tuned stalactites. Amazing that someone would think of doing it, but it was beautiful to listen to.

After our cave tour, we drove on to the Shenandoah National Park to experience the Skyline Drive. What can I say other than it was beautiful? It really was. We saw ice waterfalls, deer, and lots and lots of broken trees. Remember that wind? Well, we couldn’t drive far along the Skyline Drive because a bunch of it was closed due to fallen trees. I’m not exaggerating when I say that nearly 100 percent of the trees had broken branches. The wind was really extreme, and the resulting damage was severe.

We tried our hand at a hike to Dark Hollow Falls, but just a bit into it and our middle son bit a chunk out of the trail. He had his hands in his pockets and went face first. Definitely not the worst I’ve seen, but I’m wondering if he didn’t break his nose. His nose is definitely the worst I’ve seen on one of my kids. Nothing much I could do about it except wipe away the blood, clean out the rocks and put ice on it. Thankfully, I always carry icepacks in the car, so he was able to ice it right away.

After that we finished up the last bit of the drive, then went to Wally World to replenish my emergency ice supply. Can’t have too many of those things hanging around with my boys! I had a wild hair and got the kids Burger King on the way home so I could put them in bed sooner rather than later. Thank goodness I did, because when we got back to the resort, we found we have no electricity. So I am blogging by candle light and fighting off the cold as it settles in. I’m equally glad that I bought two candles at the Yankee Candle store. It’s quite a trek into town from here, so no runs out for candles or warm food.

All in all, I’m doing well. I am really enjoying our trip and how much we are able to see. Things may get crazy on me, but it just adds spice to my life. I really enjoy reading your comments, and I am glad you are enjoying my log. I’m happy to share, and happy that I can record what we are doing for someone other than posterity. It really is gratifying to know that you all are out there following along. Until tomorrow, or when I have good internet again…

2 comments:

Jay & Dar said...

Pictures!!!! Where are the pictures???? You always load pictures with your text!!!!! I need pictures!!!!!

Seriously ... I hope the little guy is doing better! And the the Oldest boy too! He really need to quit eating the trails he walks on. Maybe if you fed him better?!?!? Just a thought.

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the weather is a lot better back home than what you're experiencing. Hopefully, it'll change for the better for you. And soon.

Take care!!!! We miss you guys!

Jay and Dar

Mama Lizard said...

hey, when you don't have electricity and you blow a fuse in your transformer and you're on limited juice and connectivity...well, you don't get much in the way of pictures. But they're up now. I still need to add labels!