Thursday, October 4, 2007

Towel racks do NOT belong on the floor.

Well, apparently, I didn't have enough to do today. So I thought I would just do some basic home repairs. Let's face it, we all like a good home repair project, right? It's the perfect opportunity to slice open your finger and teach the kids a few new choice words. Because that's what I'm all about...teaching.

I am walking down the hall, minding my own business, when I notice that the towels aren't hung nicely in the kids' bathroom. In fact, they're all on the floor. Kind of like this:


And the wall...looks a little like this:


Oh, that's not good. . . "BOYS!!!" You know it wasn't Little Miss. She's too prim and proper to wreak such havoc and not say anything. Don't get me wrong, she's perfectly capable of destruction. She'd just come tell me right away, that's all. So it had to be a boy.

I find towel rack crises come along more frequently when used as jungle gyms from which to hang. Apparently 5/8 inch drywall with lightweight anchors aren't meant to sustain nearly 50 pounds of swinging weight. Who knew, right? Can you guess the culprit? That's right...Monkey Boy. He was innocently hanging towels from baths and his weight somehow magically transfered to the towel rack and brought it crashing down upon his head. Thankfully, the towel rack was ok, but the wall certainly wasn't. I didn't ask to see if Monkey Boy Extrordinaire had suffered any ill effects from his exploits, but I'm sure he'd tell me if there were any remaining injuries.

It is fixed, for now. It ain't purty, but it's fixed. At least until the next time we weight test the drywall.

4 comments:

Jay said...

Funny!!!!

And that's why God invented studs! Use them wisely.

Mama Lizard said...

Ah, yes. The studs. See, I'd probably use them IF (and yes, that's a really big if) there were any remotely near. The two studs I could find were turned sideways, and therefore didn't reach the side of the wall I was trying to attach the towel rack to.

Repeat after me...I love my house, I love my house.

Say, didn't you strip to studs in the bathroom lately? So you should know...those studs are pretty unpredictable...

:P

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

LOL...

...I certainly won't tell you about tapping a nail into the electrical wiring here...nope, won't share that...just have to say though - gotta love cinder block with wiring less than 1/2 inch below the surface :o)

Mama Lizard said...

Eek! I bet that gave you quite a buzz!