Monday, October 8, 2007

It's a size what???

Recently I've been trying to lose the "baby" weight. You know, the magical stuff that accumulates around your middle when you're not looking. It's annoying as heck. I think my abs have been on hiatus long enough. It's time to do something about it.

So I have. I've lost about 20 pounds this year. I feel pretty darn good and am now fitting into clothes that have been long lost in the depths of my closet. I've been trading in my baggy sweats for cute capris and pants that actually fit me. It feels pretty good.

The down side of all of this, is that I don't own pants in my current size. I have bunches of size 8's and only one pair of size 10's that fit. Well, let me rephrase that. I recently pulled a pair of really nice size 10 khaki dockers out of my closet. They're practically brand new. I bought them after I had Little Miss, and before I had kid #2, 3 and 4. It was like finding money in my pocket. I thought I had hit the fashion jackpot!

Right up until I pulled those puppies on. Hmm. Um...hmm. Well. Ok, right now, fashion is having pants fall along the hip line. Makes for interesting muffin tops (you know, the fluff that spills over the belt) when you pick a pair that is too small, but otherwise, it's a very comfortable way to wear pants. Now imagine a pair of pants from fashion statements gone by...remember the pants that went up to your ribcage? You know, they gave you that fashionably tight little waist without having to have functioning abs? Yeah, that's what these particular pants do. Complete with pleats in the front. Gah.

I didn't realize that I'd grown accustomed to the new fashions, until I tried on The Pants From The Back Of The Closet. Usually, I'm not one to follow trends or demand the latest fashions. I simply go with what is comfortable and what I like without regard to what is "in."

I bet you are wondering where I am going with this...just wait. I'll get there, I promise!

So, the turning of the weather, from balmy to simply comfortable, has led me to pillage my closet in search of clothing that fits. This led me to the discovery that I had one pair of jeans that actually fit. That led me to the factory outlets here in Las Vegas in search of some relatively inexpensive pants to add to my wardrobe. My favorite jeans are Lee Riders. They just seem to fit my body well, are not tight, don't rearrange things, and are generally acceptable to my finicky little self.

Oh, and I'm short. Did I mention I'm short? "Regular" or "Medium" are a bit long, so I generally try on Petites first, then move on if a Petite isn't cutting it. So the first pair of pants I pulled off the rack were some size 10's...that could have fit me and the three ladies next to me. Holy hugeness!!! Put those back, grabbed the next pair which were clearly labeled "10P." And they weren't 5 feet wide, either. Pulled them up to see how they were lengthwise...and pulled them up some more...a little bit more...up...up...

Yeah, those won't fit either, lol! Amazon Lady might have fit in those things. Maybe. They came up to my collar bone! Despite the thrill of the hunt, with 4 kids and one very patient husband, I am not really willing or prepared to clear the rack of all size 10's in hopes of finding one pair that fits. I think I'm willing to pay a little extra to have a pair of pants that I can try the first pair on and grab two others on the way out the door, knowing that they will fit, guaranteed. There is certainly a time and a place for outlet stores, just not when I'm looking for pants!

1 comment:

The Lizard said...

Don't forget to mention these P's were labeled as "Irregular" as well. I think you've pretty much covered what irregular means :)