Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Is it too early?

I have a question that has been bouncing around my noggin all day. Is it too early to start a "honey do" list? The Lizard has been gone 3 whole days. There are just a few items I'd like to start with.
  • reinstall the downspouts in the back yard
  • reinstall the Bose surround sound in the living room
  • get a few things down from the attic
  • put a few things back up in the attic
  • give me a back massage
Normally, I'd throw "do the dishes" on there as well. However, I think I've found an acceptable alternative to having The Lizard do the dishes...have Little Miss do them. She even leaves a comparable amount of dishes out, so it's just like having him home to do dishes. :-)

Today did not go the way I planned at all. I got a phone call while I was out at swim lessons. The fence guy called to let me know the fence was made and maybe they would come to install it today. What he really meant was "the fence is made and my guys are already coring your cement for the install." Yipes!

All in all, the install went well and I like the new gates. We had one installed on each side of the house, to go with all of the back yard construction, new retaining walls and new fences. I'm glad to have that done before leaving. Now we just have a small part of the fence to finish before we have our backyard privacy back. Hurray!


The rest of today, I decided to hang out inside instead of walking back and forth from the shed to the garage and getting in the way of the fence installation. So I worked on getting the living room back in order and excavating the pool table. April 24 was when our roof leaked and things went crazy inside. I suppose it's time to starting putting things back together! I finally got all of the pictures rehung today. It looks a little less bare in here now. I also went through 4 boxes of stuff and purged a bunch of it. I think there's hope that we may eventually "fit" into the new furniture arrangement. There's been a lot of purging and cleaning going on here recently, and it's very freeing to do that.

Tomorrow I should pack for camping. I should also start preparing for my next belt test. It was supposed to be tonight, but I ended up staying home from karate. Somehow my children seem more important than a belt test. Mighty Man needed some special time to reconnect and find his way back to his "green zone." I'm glad to be able to recognize the need, and put off "important" things for the truly precious and fleeting moments our children desperately need me.

No comments: