Thursday, July 22, 2010

Getting ready

I've been trying to get things organized all week, but have been frustrated by unexpected events popping up. My brother dropped in Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The fence mysteriously showed up a couple of weeks early on Tuesday. And since I'm the sponsor for a Cub Scout camping trip to Camp Pendleton this weekend, I've had to field numerous questions and help people figure out how to open, print, sign and return waivers.

All I want to do is get the garage cleaned out! I don't want to tell people what they should pack for camping. I don't want to plan their meals. I don't want to plan what toys they bring for their kids. Honestly, people! REALLY??? I have 4 kids of my own to figure out these things for. Act like a responsible adult, not like a poor little lamb, bleating and uncertain where to go or what to do! It's camping. You need to eat, sleep and play. Figure out what you need in order to do those three things, and go from there.

I've taken to telling people they should be sure to bring their tent, a sleeping bag and some clothes. Maybe if I'm sarcastic enough, they'll get the idea that I'm simply getting them on base, not volunteering to hold their hand and come pack for them. Sheesh. Anyway, I feel better now that I've aired that little vent. :o)

Today was the last day of this session of swim lessons for the kids. They've been at MCAS Miramar for the last two weeks. Little Miss moved up to Level 4, Monkey Boy will remain at Level 3, Mighty Man passed Level 2 and will join his brother in Level 3, and Little Dude is this close >< to passing Level 1. Yesterday the whole swimming thing clicked for him. He went from blowing bubbles and bobbing, to doing 10 yards of superman kicking followed by 10 yards of kicking with arms (front crawl). It was so cool to see him "get" it out of the blue! The only thing he hasn't mastered quite yet is floating on his back. He can do it, just not quite long enough.

Next week we'll move to the local high school for another 2 weeks of lessons. I'm hopeful that Little Dude will be a bona fide swimmer after that session! It's so nice to see them finally becoming the little fish The Lizard and I have always been. All in good time, though.

No comments: