Saturday, July 5, 2008

Update on life...because it moves fast!

Today did NOT turn out how I planned. Not even a teeny, tiny, little itty bitty bit. Today, I was supposed to finish up some stuff in the bathroom (yeah, the same bathroom I promised you pictures of, what, a couple of weeks ago?), strip beds, do laundry, fold and put away said laundry, clean house a bit, and a myriad of other things. I was not supposed to run outside in my pajamas to scoop up bleeding children and run one to Intermediate Care for a possible dislocated finger. Nope. That wasn't in my plan at all.

The Lizard was working outside on the truck and went down the street to borrow a shade to work under from the neighbors. Little Dude always wants to go see his Godparents, so Little Miss threw him on her back and went running (ack!) after The Lizard with Little Dude riding piggy back. She fell, which prompted both Monkey Boy and Mighty Man to come screaming inside to get me (and yes, I was still in my pajamas...d'oh). Little Dude was screaming bloody murder, so I scooped him up and took him in to assess the damage. Little Miss was hurt, but not badly enough that she couldn't walk back into the house, so she followed me in.

Little Dude's knee is mega torn up, and he has 3 scrapes/cuts on his head. I cleaned him up (thank you lidocaine in the Dermaplast) and got him patched up enough for the tears to stop. Meanwhile, Little Miss had an icepack on her head and asked to lay down because she felt sleepy. Being familiar with concussions and seeing the massive bruise forming on her temple, I wouldn't let her go while I was patching up her littlest brother. I didn't want her to pass out on me so I made her lay down on the bathroom floor until I was done with Little Dude. As far as I could tell, only a mashed up knee and black eye were the major hurts, so she waited patiently.

The Lizard finally got back just as I finished patching up Little Dude, so he took charge of LD while I turned my attention to Little Miss. She has a nasty black eye, with abrasions and cuts where her glasses cut into her temple. Her glasses are toast. Her knee is torn up pretty good, and her elbow has a scrape. As I worked through each scrape, cleaning out rocks and applying bandaids as necessary, she told me her finger hurt, too. I had already cleaned out a deep cut on her middle finger, and thought that was what she was complaining about.

I took another look at her fingers, asked her to make a fist, and then discovered the index finger on her left hand was not straight at all and starting to swell. I yelled at The Lizard that I thought she dislocated her finger and that I was taking her to Intermediate Care (looks just like an ER, and is kind of like the ER, but without the wait and without the huge co-pay, much faster than waiting for an appointment with urgent care). I threw on some clothes, combed my hair and flew out the door.

Turns out Little Miss did not dislocate her finger. She broke the index finger on her left hand in two places at the growth plate (right at the knuckle) and displaced it. I thought she had dislocated it, by the angle in the middle of her finger. No such luck. At the moment, she's in a plaster cast/splint, wrapped in an ace bandage. Monday we head out to the orthopedic surgeon to get the displacement set and a fiberglass cast, which she'll wear for the next six weeks. Monday is not going to be a fun day in the Lizard household.

Anyway, so no swimming basically for the rest of the summer, which means she will not get to participate in the last session of swim lessons starting on Tuesday. I'm not sure how karate will work either. She definitely can't do sparring or weaponry. I think she can still do katas. We'll see on Monday once they set her finger. Poor girl is just so beat up. I'm glad we have a spare set of glasses, since she scraped up the lenses pretty badly, and mangled the frames something fierce.

Tomorrow, I'm not making any plans. Maybe that way I can actually get some things done around the house. Do you think it will work?

Oh, and yesterday, Mighty Man lost his first top tooth, bringing his total tooth loss to five! I can't believe he's lost so many teeth already!

No comments: