Sunday, September 26, 2010

Just checking in...

It seems this time around, it is much more difficult to post to my blog regularly. I began to ponder why this was, then realized, this is a whole different type of trip.

In 2007, I traveled in the van, stayed in hotels, and had wifi wherever I went. This time, I'm traveling in our truck, towing the trailer, dry camping in far out of the way, remote parts of the country, usually totally with out internet or even phone access. I suppose it makes more sense that this is the third time I've even turned on my computer in the last 6 weeks of my trip.

So please forgive my lack of blogging. I had terribly good intentions...and I do think my time is being wisely spent...on my kids and on myself. We're having a wonderful time, learning ever so much, doing quite well with school, and enjoying our time together, without electronics. It's really peaceful, actually. No television. No computers. No handheld games. Just good old fashioned books, dirt, and the great outdoors.

Back to Diamond Lake. I feel it deserves a special mention. My high hopes of sharing the thrill of fishing with the kids was short lived, I'm afraid. The day we arrived, it poured as we attempted to fish from the shore. We caught a few snags and one unsuspecting moored boat. The next day, it also poured, but we braved the rain and cast a few times from the shore. At one point, our poor Little Dude cast his line and said, "Well, that was pitiful. Ugh!" I couldn't help but laugh right out loud at his total disgust regarding his ability to cast. That particular attempt ended about three feet from his toes. He wasn't impressed.

The third day was sunny, but cold, so we opted for a morning horse ride through the forest. That boosted their spirits enough that they were eager to try their hands at fishing again. This time, I rented a 16 foot boat with an outboard motor. I was done taking hooks out of trees and mooring lines. I was certain we would have much better luck out on the lake. Armed with power bait and 4,695 different types of lures, we set out. We fished near shore and away from shore. We trawled, we sat very still, we watched boats on either side of us bringing in as many as 3 fish at a time. Alas, it wasn't our day for trout. Not even a single nibble was to be had. Good thing we went horseback riding earlier. At least one part of the day was exciting!

Since then, we've been to Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier and most recently, Mt. Olympus. We're still studying volcanoes. At the moment, I'm in Bremerton, WA vising my brother's family. I've got a few things trailer-wise to take care of before we move on, so that's our focus at the moment. I'm using this time to catch up on the mundane aspects of my life, like balancing the checkbook and downloading pictures to my computer. Soon enough, we'll move on, but for now, it's nice to wash dishes in a dishwasher, plug into an electrical outlet, and have hot water on demand...not just when I remember to relight the water heater after changing campsites. Life is good!

No comments: