Monday, February 9, 2009

just a little update

It's been awhile since I last wrote, and I would hate for any of my blog readers (ok, my one blog reader besides my hubby, right Jay?) to think I had inadvertently fallen off the face of the planet.

So here's the deal. Last week I fell apart. After 4 months of being in a cast (yes, 18 weeks) I just could not take it any more. I emailed my surgeon who was unfortunately (for me) in the OR for the day. Then I went in, had them remove my cast for a routine cast change and refused to get another until I had been seen by someone. I ended up seeing Little Miss's ortho, who tried to get orders for me to get out of my cast. She wasn't able to find anyone willing to sign off on new orders, so back in a cast I went. She told me my surgeon would be back in the office two days later. I came back two days later and parked my happy hiney in the orthopedics department until my surgeon gave the ok for me to leave cast free.

So, I now have a thumb gutter splint to wear for the next several months. Every joint remotely connected to the thumb and/or wrist area is completely locked up. I am out of the cast, but have no ability to move my hand. At all. It's atrophied down to skin and bones and one nasty scar. The scar is completely adheared. I've been down this road before (to some extent) during each of my three carpal tunnel surgeries. I'm not thrilled with the length of the road ahead of me, but I'll take it one day at a time, one hot tub soak at a time until I'm able to use my hand again. It won't be fun, but I'll get there some day!

Oh, and after having an entire month (all of January) with temperatures in the 70's and 80's, we seem to be having a bit of winter. My toes are cold and it's raining. Oh well. Maybe this will cause our tree to finally lose all its leaves before spring? (which should be here in the next couple of weeks...heh)

2 comments:

Jay said...

Thank You ...... Thank You ...... Thank You!!!!!

I missed reding your blog.

Jay

Jay said...

I meant READING .....